Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A response...

to this.


For starters, it may be a good idea to read Reading the Bible from the Margins by Miguel de la Torre. It gives a powerful understanding of what it means to be at the center and at the margins, and how people from each space tend to read the Bible.

I actually already wrote (and deleted) the better part of a really angry reply to the link, but if I’m honest it was just another case of a straight person speaking for the LGBTQ community instead of listening to the voice of someone on the other side. Why do we feel such an incessant need to take sides without even listening to the people we are talking about? Maybe LGBTQ Christians have some wisdom regarding these questions that straight Christians don’t. If there is one thing I have learned in a missional setting, it’s that the people you are ministering to know something about God that you don’t. Give them a voice and listen. You might learn something.

So in that spirit, I have a question for the LGBTQ Christians who may read this: what do you think about the above article? What do you think about their use of scripture? What do you think about the research they reference? I have my own opinions, but rather than speak on your behalf I want to hear what you have to say. If you know someone who can provide a genuine response to this, please feel free to ask them the same thing. For my part, I’ll do what I can to get straight Christians to listen rather than to talk, and do my best to join them in that struggle.

Peace and Joy.

P.S. - If anyone wants to know my opinion on this, feel free to ask. I just think my opinion should be secondary in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment